I just finished reading a biography about John Newton, the guy who wrote the lyrics to "Amazing Grace" and mentored William Wilberforce, the man who led England to ban slavery long before the Civil War. Anyway, it is an amazing story. What was so encouraging to me is that the development of his faith was literally a lifelong journey. So many times I get frustrated because I have loved God and followed him for so long and it seems like I should be so much more than I am for his glory. Unlike me, Newton waited; he prayed constantly and did what he knew was right. His life exemplified an unbelievable attitude of humilty and he was constantly grateful for the grace he had received and lived his life in light of that grace.
To tell the truth, John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace wasn't the best-written biography/history I have ever read (David McCollough of John Adams and 1776 fame holds that title for me), but great lessons don't have to come from great literature. Sometimes they are in a misspelled note from one of my daughters, a journal entry from Al, or from a man who loved God over 250 years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment