Monday, March 23, 2009

A Dinner to Remember


Tonight our family was invited to eat dinner at the home of two of my students while their father was in the country. Their father just happens to be a member of the Iraqi Parliament. I must admit, it was one of the most interesting evenings of my life - even Al was fascinated by the political discussion. I cannot even begin to tell you all of the things we discussed. One of the things that was very encouraging to Mr. Al-Hiti (and to me) was that in the recent local elections, the religious extremists (his words) lost by landslides to people who are more supportive of a "secular" government. He feels like this bodes well for the national elections, since the majority of members of the current parliament are not secular in their governmental philosophy. People like him are currently a minority. The whole evening was unlike any editorial, news report, commentary I have ever heard on the subject.
Sorry, my blog isn't usually editorial, but this was an amazing evening.
p.s. I am freakishly large, aren't I?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great opportunity! There is something so secure getting informtion from a first hand source instead of hearing it through a veil of bias. That must have been such a great dinner...I can't wait to hear more details.

Anonymous said...

Me too!~