Wednesday, October 1, 2008

News that's worth the wait

Sorry I haven't been too bloggy lately, there aren't too many picture-worthy things in our life right now between school, church, and real life. I have a couple of things to put on right now, but I am "on a time budget" as my sister would say, so it will have to wait a bit; however, one thing I have to write.

There is a verse in the Bible that I cross-stitched for my grandma a long time ago, "I have no greater joy than to know that my children walk with the LORD." I have thought about that verse a lot as I contemplate our girls' spiritual heritage. Tristan committed her life to Jesus when she was three, Saige did the same when she was 5 after we left the wake of a godly man, and now gairette has done the same. The other night she was talking with Al, and she prayed, asking God to forgive her sins and to be in charge of her life.

Part of me thinks, can a child that young really understand what the life, death and resurrection of Jesus really means? When I asked that question 6 years ago, my pastor told me that if we believe that people are given spiritual gifts at salvation that they should show up in kids' lives if they really believe as a child can believe. And so Al and I wait to see what will appear in gairette's life, and we will do our flawed best to teach our girls to continue the legacy of my great-grandparents, grandparents, mom, aunts, uncles and everyone on down.

In the meantime, it is so fun to watch as gairette tells person after person, "I prayed to Jesus," and get hugs of celebration, answering their questions in her own 4 year old way.

"I have no greater joy than to know my children walk with the LORD."

1 comment:

erik and courtney said...

I was so excited when Gairette told me "she prayed to Jesus," the tears filled my eyes. We love you Gairette.